First Baptist Church Orangefield

First Baptist Church Orangefield
http://www.fbcof.com
409-735-3113
9788 FM 105
Orangefield
Texas
77630
Beaumont Printing

First Baptist Church Orangefield is located at 9788 FM 105.

Our Purpose: To reach, teach, and minister to people to become devoted followers of Jesus Christ. Glorifying God thru the Spirit by evangelism, discipleship, worship, fellowship and ministry/missions

Sunday Bible Study is at 9:30 a.m. with Worship Services at 10:30 a.m. Evening Worship is held at 6:30 p.m.

Wednesday evening services are as follows: youth and children- 6:00 p.m.; praise and prayer-6:30 p.m.; and choir practice-5:30 p.m.

For more information contact the church at 409-735-3113 or by e-mail: office@fbcof.com. Check out their Web site at www.fbcof.com

Our History

In the early 1900’s, three Baptist churches existed in our area, “Old First,” in McLewis, “Evergreen Baptist” in Duncan Woods, and “Burton Baptist” in Winfree Community, but none in the Orange oil field to serve the spiritual needs of the people here—the farmers, oil field workers and their families. On August 3, 1922, at a prayer meeting and singing in the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. Cay McGill, our church was organized as a mission of the Burton Baptist Church of Winfree.At a Sunday meeting, Brother W.R. Brown, pastor of First Baptist Church of Orange, preached the first sermon and helped organize the church with election of officers and petitioning the Southeast Texas Baptist Association for membership. Brother J. L. Sargent was called as pastor.
Worship has been held in three different buildings, the little frame building across from the present Orangefield Post Office, and the old Harmon home off Highway 408. The most unique facet of that first sanctuary was the baptistery—a trap door or “hole in the floor” as some called it, led to it. The podium would be removed, the trap door opened, and the baptistery revealed.The second building was made of cement blocks and was designed and built by members. It was erected between the present sanctuary and the parsonage. It was a source of pride to the community and a tribute to God’s glory.

In 1960, ground was broken for our present sanctuary with Mrs. Audrey McGill Scarborough, a charter member, turning over the first shovel of dirt.In 1972, we again broke ground for the $120,000.00 educational building and the old cement block church building was torn down. Merle Greer Construction Company of Pineland, Texas erected the pre-fab educational building. The interior was finished by the men of the church in less than two months under the leadership of Roy Franks. November 26, 1972 was our first Sunday in the educational building.

The church has had a total of twenty-four pastors. As one member said, “I don’t know if they were all good pastors or not, but evidently one was real neat and tidy. He cleaned house one day and burned all the old records.”
LegalShield logo lrg

Directions to listing

Send Message to listing owner

First Baptist Church Orangefield


Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Fun things and events in and around Orange County, Texas

%d bloggers like this: